Buying Homes in Minneapolis
As with all major cities, there’s no single way to describe Minneapolis. That’s particularly true when talking about real estate and various MLS listings in the city. Minneapolis is a city of many neighborhoods, each with different characteristics that affect multiple aspects of neighborhood life. Officially, the city is divided into eleven “communities,” each made up of multiple neighborhoods. Unofficially, residents and others have different descriptions of the divisions of the Minneapolis. It can be very confusing, and everyone from local news announcers to real estate agents uses different terminology to describe the makeup of the city.
- Uptown Homes – Uptown generally refers to the residential areas around the intersection of Hennepin and Lagoon Avenues. Strictly speaking, it refers to the business district, but Uptown has come to be used to refer to a larger area, encompassing the northern part of the Calhoun-Isles community and other neighborhoods. Homes in this area include everything from condos and apartments to upscale homes nearby. A lively and constantly changing district, it has become a desirable area for a wide range of home buyers.
- Downtown Condos – For many people, the downtown is not usually thought of as a residential district, but that has changed rapidly in recent years. Including the areas of downtown along the river, as well as the warehouse district, the North Loop, Loring Park, and other areas around the downtown business district, six distinct neighborhoods make up what is commonly called Downtown. Condominium homes, often in the upscale price range, make up a large majority of residences in this district, but other homes are also within this general area.
- South Minneapolis Homes – This catchall designation includes a large number of neighborhoods, and a wide variety of homes in all price ranges. It extends from the southern section of Calhoun & Isles to the eastern part of the city, adjacent to the Mississippi River. Everything south of I-94 is often lumped into this designation. Within South Minneapolis, home buyers will find a wide range of home listings, ranging from bargain-priced homes under $100,000, to stately homes priced over $1 million.
- North Minneapolis Homes – North Minneapolis is a general label, and includes a wide range of neighborhoods. This area, which is made up of neighborhoods in the Near North and Camden communities in the northwest quadrant of the city. A wide range of homes exists in real estate listings in this district, with some neighborhoods being more popular than others with home buyers. It’s generally bounded by I-94 on the east, Broadway Avenue on the west, and I-394 on the south, with the northern limits roughly at 53rd Avenue North. Bargains among Minnesota MLS property listings are common in this District, making it a favorite with real estate investors adding to their portfolio of rentals, along with first time home buyers looking for bargains on their first home.
- Northeast Minneapolis Homes – Often called “Nordeast” by residents, this district is made up of 13 neighborhoods, and also includes part of the University community. It has poorly-defined borders, but, if you’re in a part of the city where the streets have NE in their names, you’re in the Northeast district. Very active, and ever changing, Northeast Minneapolis is attractive to homeowners for its low home prices listed on MN MLS and the upswing in young families upgrading and restoring homes in many neighborhoods. An active arts and music community add to its attraction for younger home buyers. The district contains many historic buildings and is made up of both older homes and newer multi-family housing.
- Longfellow Seward Homes – These two adjacent neighborhoods south of I-94 and bordered on the east by the Mississippi River are popular with young families, and offer features and homes that fit into the plans of many families.
- Powderhorn Park Homes – This neighborhood, anchored by Powderhorn Park and Powderhorn Lake, earns the praises of the many families who have chosen this part of the city to call home. Many opportunities for home buyers exist in this area.
- Calhoun Isles Homes – This district has the Chain of Lakes as its main feature, with the parks and recreational possibilities that appeal to families. Home prices of MN listings in the district range from affordable to upscale.
The bottom line is that the characteristics of the parts of Minneapolis are different throughout the city. When it comes to searching through real estate listings in the city, many home buyers are confused by the terminology attached to neighborhoods and districts. The solution to that problem is to develop a relationship with a licensed, professional real estate agent who has extensive knowledge and experience with the city’s housing market. Even then, having some idea of where you want to begin your home search can help a great deal.
Search Home Listings in Minneapolis
Many home buyers begin their search with a map of Minneapolis, and that’s a great way to start, since location is more a matter of where you are on the map than of named neighborhoods and communities. As a broker member of Northstar MLS MN, we’re proud to present our Minnesota Real Estate Online Search to help home buyers find homes of interest.
The listings shown in the searches on this website are properties listed by Participants of the Northstar MLS of MN. Any of our REMAX agents and Realtors will be happy to do additional searches for various types of properties for you as well. These MN multiple listings are emailed to you by your agent and your agent can show you homes throughout the city at your convenience.
Minneapolis Real Estate Buying & Listing Agents
There are many reasonably priced MLS home listings in Minneapolis, and homes are available throughout the city in all price ranges. At our top REMAX team, many of our licensed agents have extensive knowledge of the Minneapolis housing market, and can help you find a home that meets your goals in any neighborhood in the city. Our licensed agents offer exceptional services with purchasing and selling properties on Minnesota multiple listing service. Our commitment to complete service means that from the beginning of your home search to move-in day, your agent with The Minnesota Real Estate Team will assist you on your schedule, at your pace, and with your criteria and goals as top priorities. All of our agents are members of Northstar MLS. We’d love to help you find and purchase your new home in Minneapolis or anywhere in the Twin Cities metro area.